Tuesday, 27 August 2013

New Close-Up Double Vision Paintings


I set up two artworks in the stuio - a relic was placed so that I could look at it from very close-up, and a mask was hung on the wall about 40 cm behind. I tried to record how these things appeared to me through observational drawing and painting while focusing first on the mask, and then on the relic.

In this painting I focused on the mask on the back wall - this caused the relic to appear in close-up double vision; doubled and semi-transparent.

In this painting I foucsed on the nose of the relic in the foreground, causing it to appear in single focused vision. However, around this small focused area the rest of the relic began to appear doubled and semi-transparent, while the mask on the back wall behind appears doubled and blurred. This is as close to the way these things appeared as I could describe with paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment